Pastors' Memoirs

James Edgar Scott, Jr., 1908-1994

Memoirs Home 

James Edgar Scott, Jr., the son of James Edgar Scott and Margaret DuRant Scott, was born November 4,1908, in Wofford, South Carolina. He attended the public schools and Wofford College for three years. The family moved to Columbia and Jim, as he came to be known, attended the University of South Carolina earning both a Bachelor's and Master's degrees. He taught school in Georgia four years and then felt the call to preach. He attended the Duke University School of Religion for three semesters. He was appointed pastor of the Skyland churches in 1935, in the Western North Carolina conference. In 1936 he moved back to his native state and was appointed to Waccamaw Church.On September 5,1938, he and Mary Etta Tomlinson were married. To this union were born a son, James, III; a daughter, Mary Emma,who predeceased her father. He served the Eutawville and Cottageville appointments. He spent one year as a chaplain of the Army Air Force. He served Hebron Wesley for two years and, in 1948, he transferred to Nebraska and served Morrill, Waverly and Alma Ragan. They returned east in 1953 when Jim was appointed pastor of Bowling Green. He stayed there for two years and was appointed executive secretary of The Town and Country Commission and he served in this capacity until 1967. He was appointed pastor of Memorial Church in Petersburg and in 1970 he was appointed pastor of Franktown-Johnson on the Eastern Shore and, in 1973, he came to Charity, served one year and then retired from the active ministry. He served the Whaleyville-Somerton Charge as a retired supply minister.

Jim and "Tommy" lived in Courtland in a Retired Minister's Home until 1993. Due to health problems they moved into a United Methodist cimplex. He died October 15, 1994. He is survived by his devoted wife, "Tommy"; one son, James Edgar, III; and two grandchildren, Lisa and Nicholas of Eureka, California. His funeral service was held at the Courtland United Methodist Church Cemetery on October 18,1994, led by the Rev. James T. Higgins.

As executive secretary of the Town and Country Commission he touched lives of many churchgoers, members and ministers. He often served as pastor to the pastors, offering hints and suggestions that made life move into an easier lane and lead to greater accomplishments. We all relied on his friendship and enjoyed his friendly presence.

The brightness of his day is gone,
We see the setting of the sun;
If only we could carry on
And live a life like he has done.
He was a friend.

- Ulysses G. Bailey

 

 

The Cross and Flame is a registered trademark, and the use is supervised by the General Council on Finance and Administration (GCFA) of The United Methodist Church. Permission to use the Cross and Flame must be obtained from the GCFA, Attn: Legal Department, PO Box 340029, Nashville, TN 37203-0029; phone 615-369-2334; fax 615-369-2330

Background photos courtesy of VDOT.

The Virginia Conference of The United Methodist Church
10330 Staples Mill Road, Glen Allen, VA 23060
P.O. Box 5606, Glen Allen, VA 23058-5606
(804) 521-1100
Click here for directions to the Center